If you haven’t created a Facebook fan page for your business yet, you may be unaware of the real benefits. I touch on many of these benefits in my previous post, Facebook Fan Pages vs. Groups. One of the useful tools I mention in that article is Facebook page insights.
This is Facebook’s effort to offer fan page administators some rudimentary analytics. As with any form of web analytics, the data is only as powerful as the reasonable conclusions you can make. In this case, the data from Facebook should enable you to answer some basic questions such as:
- Am I reaching my target demographics (age and gender)?
- What are the demographics of the most active fans on the page?
- Which posts to the wall have generated the best responses?
- Which posts to the wall have coincided with an increase in the number of fans?
The screenshot above is a sample of the data available for one of the fan pages I manage. As you can see, Facebook provides a clean graphical presentation of the data.
Facebook Insights Features:
- Shows you how users interact with your fan page
- Measures post quality by determining how engaging your posts are to your fans
- Provides a comparison for how your post quality compares to other fan page sites of similar size
- The “fans over time” graph allows you to track when fans subscribed or unsubscribed
- Provides demographics such as age, gender, location and primary language
- Tracks the number of interactions, comments, wall posts and “likes” graphically by date
While these analytics are limited, they are still a nice bonus from Facebook. It isn’t often you’ll get access to data such as this from free services that also host the page for you.